In today’s digital market space targeting audiences is one of the most critical area to any marketing campaign. Advertiser laxing on targeting would not be able to rightly use advertising to reach the right audience with the right message. Resulting in wasting budget money & more over time. Going with a power of targeting which allows level of personalisation and relevancy that right consumers always looking forward. And for digital advertisers it opens a way to segment audiences, test and optimize for improved results. Let see & explore the key targeting methods that seek your attention.
1. Audience Focused Targeting: Helps you sketching ads to those people interested in the products and services. It includes various methods of segmentation that allow advertisers to find and target specific audiences. Let’s explore the various types of audience focused ad segmentation that you can choose;
2. Demographic targeting: One of the oldest kinds of targeting, it shows ads to your consumer based on a various set of demographic information. This often includes age and gender. When advertisers know that their business or product tends to appeal to a specific age group, or else the objective is to build awareness in a specific age group, demographic targeting would be a good way to target audiences to reach objectives. However when demographic targeting and placement targeting are combined, they allow to deliver an ad to the right age group of people who had also visited sites that customers typically visit. Likewise when demographic targeting combined with behavioral targeting, allowing an advertiser to be extremely specific about who sees their ad message.
3. Placement Targeting: One another type of audience targeting, which shows ads only on specific websites that has been selected. This type of targeting is very helpful if advertiser knows which websites your consumers visit. Websites like Telegraph.co.uk or Time.com can be targeted from various ad exchanges & also can include via google display network. With placement targeting you can put your ad on the site or portal of your choice, with various ad types animated banners, video banners or text ads depend what format they are allowing on certain pages.
4. Behavioral Targeting: This form serves ads based on the interests of a visitors. Their interests/intent can be known from their e.g. previous form fill or registration process or they can be inferred based on browser history, like sites visited, searches, etc. With behavioral targeting a consumer’s earlier web behavior determines the ads they are served.
5. Geographic and Language Targeting: Geographic and language targeting means that ads are targeted based on the geographic location or local language of a consumer. This can be very niche on some advertising platforms. For geography, advertisers can be as broad as region and country and as specific as neighborhood or zip code in a particular city. Geo-targeting is quite important for businesses that operate in many regions and want their ads to be relevant and personal for audiences in every region.
6. Interest Targeting: Based on the interest categories of customers. This type of targeting targets customers whose online behavior shows they are interested in a specific category. Those customers are then served niche ads as they move across the web. Slightly different than behavioral targeting because the user does not select or self-identify their interest… they are inferred by the platform based on their behavior. Normally ad platforms let consumers customized their interests so they can see ads they want, while also helping the advertiser reach audiences more effectively.
7. Topic Targeting: Based on sites that fit into a category grouping, such as finance, shopping, or health. It’s a type of targeting that is done mainly on Google and an advertisers using this form of targeting who wants to target people based on the type of website they go to, rather than specific sites. It’s a good way for advertisers to get exposure on an extended variety of sites that are also relevant, which has the benefit of revealing them to new audiences and building awareness.
8. Lookalike Targeting: Lookalike targeting is based on existing marketing list and targeted group of consumers. Many advertising platforms offer this targeting method which usually takes an available list of visitors or contacts from previous activities. Then the platforms find matching audiences who “look like” the visitors from the existing list available to them.
9. Contextual Targeting: One that delivers relevant messages to visitors based on the type of content they consume, whether that is an article or a content asset like a site or blog. Contextual targeting enables advertisers to deliver their ads in the moments that the customer is engaged and interacted with a similar topic. This way the ad get relevant. This type of ad also protect advertiser brand and keeping it safe by preventing ads not appearing next to content that is irrelevant or not wanted.
10. Keyword Targeting: Ads get triggered around targeted keywords. With this type of targeting select a keyword or phrases that advertiser wants ad to visible for. Google is the most well-known for keyword targeting based advertising.
11. Re-Marketing: Means that ads display to customers who have already visited your site or web pages. Advertisers know with the help of re-targeting list that the previous visitors has more potential to drive them back to their site. A consumer who is re-targeting continues to browse other sites across the internet, and your ads display to them. The re-targeting ad directs the customer back to the site with a CTR (call to action) to shop, a promotion, and a banner. Retargeting ads remind customers not only of the products they looked at, but also of your brand. The goal is to drive them back to your site to complete an action.
12. Device Targeting: Delivers ads to consumers based on their device, including manufacturer, model & operating system. Today’s shopper engaged with brands on multiple devices, therefore device targeting could be a great way forward to grab the attention of potential on the go. It’s important that advertisers should be using different devices they can advertise on and analyze the response on their advertisement message from each.